Start of Main Content

Legal and Tax Status Information



Address: 100 Raoul Wallenberg Place SW, Washington, DC 20024-2136

The Office of General Counsel (OGC) protects the legal interests of the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum (the “Museum”). OGC attorneys provide legal advice and counsel to the Museum and its staff on a myriad of issues, including–but not limited to–the legal nature and administration of the Museum, intellectual property, employment, collections management, contracts, ethics, tax, and tort claims.

The OGC represents the Museum in (1) litigation and other adversarial proceedings to which the Museum is a party in administrative matters; (2) issues final determinations on administrative tort and personal property claims against the Museum; and (3) generally monitors developments in the law for application to the Museum. The Museum is represented in litigation by the Department of Justice and the Offices of the United States Attorney.

Tort Claim

How to File a Tort Claim

If you become injured or your property is damaged and you believe that the injury or damage was caused by the negligence or wrongful act or omission of the Museum or its employee acting within the scope of his or her official duties, you may file a tort claim against the Museum. The Museum processes claims in accordance with the Federal Tort Claims Act, 28 U.S.C. § 1346(b) and §§ 2671-2680. To file a claim, complete these steps:

  1. Complete a Standard Form 95 (“SF-95”). Explain in detail what happened, using additional pages if necessary. Make sure you specify the total amount of money you seek in block 12d and sign the form in block 13a.

  2. Attach all documents that support your claim, which may include the following: 

    1. For property damage: Attach relevant receipts, estimates, invoices for repairs, and photographs of the damaged item. If the item cannot be repaired, provide the age of the item and its purchase price. If you were involved in a car accident, send a copy of the police report.

    2. For personal injury: Attach medical records, including the doctor’s diagnosis, records of treatment, treatment plans, receipts, medical bills, and a statement indicating what portion of your treatment, if any, is being paid under a medical insurance plan. Include all documents that support the injuries you are claiming.

    3. For lost wages: Attach proof of employment and salary, a statement from your employer for the time you were absent, and a doctor’s statement indicating you were unable to work due to the injury.

  3. Submit the completed Standard Form 95 and supporting documents to If you are submitting protected personal information by email, please encrypt your email and/or password-protect the documents you are sending and email the password in a separate email.

  4. The Museum will investigate and make a determination on your claim. The decision will be forwarded to you by certified mail. This process may take several months. Please email the office at with any questions.

Requests for Information

Please note that the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum (“Museum”) is not subject to the Freedom of Information Act (“FOIA”) due to its status as an independent establishment of the United States government. Nevertheless, the Museum endeavors to respond to requests for information in the interests of openness and transparency to the extent possible and reasonable under the circumstances. Please direct all requests to


A request that is submitted in the form of a subpoena involves a specific litigation process and imposes certain legal obligations and deadlines. The Museum will respond to subpoenas and requests for a uniform and impartial manner that is consistent with applicable laws, regulations, and rules of judicial and administrative entities. Please direct subpoenas to the Attorney General of the United States pursuant to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.

Attorney General of the United States United States Department of Justice 950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20530-0001

General Questions

If you have any questions or concerns that have not been addressed on this page, please feel free to reach out to