The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum lends objects from our collections to encourage and develop a greater understanding and appreciation for the Holocaust and Holocaust-related artifacts. The Museum lends to other museums and institutions engaged in nonprofit, educational, and scholarly pursuits. Loan applications must be submitted at least nine months in advance of the loan start date.
For additional information or to request a hard copy of the outgoing loan application, please contact us:
United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
100 Raoul Wallenberg Place, SW
Washington, DC 20024-2126
How to Apply
Fill out our online outgoing loan application below. Once you’ve completed the application, please send additional required materials to our loan coordinator.
Borrowers are required to complete the online outgoing loan application. Incomplete applications will be returned with a request for additional information. The application should include the following information:
- Name, address, and telephone number of borrowing institution and a contact name
- Synopsis of exhibition
- Loan period, including time for exhibition preparation and loan return
- Completed American Association of Museums facilities report, or comparable facilities report for borrowing institution
- A list of additional venues, if applicable (facility reports for each additional venue are required)
- Plan of gallery where the loan will be displayed and a description of exhibition cases and gallery lighting
Photography for print and electronic media is permitted only for catalog, educational, archival, and publicity purposes related to the purposes of the loan. No photography or reproduction is permitted by the general public.
Loan Selection Criteria
Loan applications are reviewed on a monthly basis by the Museum’s Outgoing Loans Committee—members include curatorial, registration, and conservation staff members—and will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- The proposed use of the borrowed material
- The timing of the request for the loan
- The value and/or the importance of the object
- The overall condition of the object
- The security, environmental, and facility characteristics and capabilities of the borrowing institution
- The nature and purpose of the borrowing organization and the proposed project
- The current exhibition schedule of the Museum
The Museum will make every effort to assist borrowers in meeting the loan requirements. However, not all loans may be approved.