HAMBURGER JÜDISCHE OPFER DES NATIONALSOZIALISMUS : GEDENKBUCH / [bearbeitet von Jürgen Sielemann ; unter Mitarbeit von Paul Flamme]. (ID: 31985)
Authorship or Source:
- Sielemann, Jürgen.
- Flamme, Paul.
- Staatsarchiv Hamburg.
Title or Main Description:
HAMBURGER JÜDISCHE OPFER DES NATIONALSOZIALISMUS : GEDENKBUCH / [bearbeitet von Jürgen Sielemann ; unter Mitarbeit von Paul Flamme].
Place Published or Holding Institution:
Hamburg : Staatsarchiv Hamburg
- xxiii, 450 p. ; 28 cm.
- Number of Names or Other Entries-- 8,877 Names.
Alternate or Series Title:
- Hamburger juedische Opfer des Nationalsozialismus : Gedenkbuch.
- (Veröffentlichungen aus dem Staatsarchiv der Freien und Hansestadt Hamburg ; Bd. 15)
Museum or Other Institution Holdings:
- Survivors Registry Collection: Located in 2nd Floor Public Reference Area.
- USHMM Library: Name Lists--Germany DS135 .G4 H35 1995 ; c.2 in Stacks DS135.G4 H35 1995.
- Yad Vashem Library (Jerusalem, Israel). Call Number: 96-0182F.
- Library of Congress (Washington, D.C.). Call Number: DD901.H21 A3 Bd. 15.
- Source Institution: Staatsarchiv Hamburg, ABC Strasse 19A, D-20354 Hamburg, Germany ; Contact: Jürgen Sielemann.
- Compiled from records of the Bundesarchiv [=German Federal Archives], the Staatsarchiv Hamburg [=State Archive Hamburg], Yad Vashem and other sources as described in p. xii-xvi. In brief: data was compiled from Hamburg tax records, the German National 'Minority' or 'Jewish' Census of 1939, Hamburg Gestapo reports, deportation and camp records, documents related to the Euthanasia program, 'Pages of Testimony' held at Yad Vashem and Lodz ghetto records (also at Yad Vashem).
- Persons wishing to amend or submit new information for a planned revised edition are invited to do so by contacting the Staatsarchiv Hamburg, ABC Strasse 19A, D-20354 Hamburg, Germany / Attn: Jürgen Sielemann. No date of publication or deadline for submission of additional information has yet been given as of December 2001.
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) --Registers of dead --Germany --Hamburg.
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) --Registers of dead --Germany --Altona.
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) --Registers of dead --Germany --Wandsbek.
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) --Registers of dead --Germany --Harburg.
- Jews --Germany --Hamburg --Registers.
- Hamburg (Germany) --Registers.
- Memorial Books (Holocaust) --Germany --Hamburg.
- YAD VASHEM LIBRARY KEYWORDS:
- HAMBURG - JEWS.
- LISTS - VICTIMS, JEWISH -- GERMANY.
Memorial book listing the fates of 8,877 Hamburg Jews, including the towns of Altona, Wandsbek and Harburg, who perished during the Holocaust. Listings are alphabetically arranged and include the following: 1) Jews who were born in Hamburg, lived there during the Nazi period and were deported and died 2) Jews who left Hamburg prior to January 1, 1933 and who subsequently perished in the Holocaust 3) Jews who died in Hamburg during the Nazi period, including suicides. Neither survivors nor persons whose fate was unknown at the time of the book's compilation are listed. Persons who survived through 9 May 1945 and later passed away are likewise not listed. Entries include last and first name (other names people used are in parentheses as well as maiden names, where applicable). Academic and other titles and honorifics are occasionally given. Entries also include date and place of birth, date(s) and destination(s) of deportation, and place of death, where known. More specific data on individual transports can be found on p. xix. Entries on this page include the dates and destinations of deportations, the number of deportees, and, of these, the number that perished. Place names are given often without specifics as to whether a ghetto, camp, prison, or simply a locale is being referenced. N.B. For the purposes of this book, Hamburg is defined as including the towns of Altona, Wandsbek and Harburg as well as 27 smaller communities. N.B. See p. xii-xiv for a discussion of the relationship of this work's methodology to that used earlier by the Bundesarchiv in creating the GEDENKBUCH for the whole of West Germany, including Berlin [see also source AA0328].
Language and Other Notes:
- Text in German.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 449-450).
- The USHMM Library Catalog incorrectly states title as: "Hambürger [sic] jüdische Opfer des Nationalsozialismus : Gedenkbuch".
Resource Center Cataloging Notes:
Former Q&A Name Lists Database File Number-- BB8687