George Wheeler Collection
"Ufa" logo; "Nr. 57" appear on screen. The narrator says, "Die Inseln Oesel und Moon in deutscher Hand." [The islands of Oesel and Moon in German hands]. Map showing Oesel (Saaremaa) and Moon islands, located between Latvia and Estonia. Luftwaffe planes in the air over the islands. German ships in the ocean; mines detonating in the water. Soldiers on board ship receiving orders. Cannons firing from the ship at Soviet positions. Germans in small motorboats race toward the island while planes overhead cover them and fire at a lighthouse/watchtower on the island. Planes bomb the island. Germans on the ground admiring a bomb crater made by a Stuka. Soldiers crossing a bridge between the two islands. A sign in German reads "Beware: Mines". Fighting on the island between the Germans and the Soviets. Back on the ocean, a ship brings vehicles (and perhaps horses?) to the island. The boat is unloaded onto the beach; nice shots of cars splashing into the water and driving onto the beach. Soviet prisoners sitting on the ground and boarding the ferry to be taken back to Estonia. German soldiers heading toward the capital of Oesel island. Views of the capital and of the Germans being greeted by smiling women in the doorway of a house.
Original film canisters located in Museum offsite storage. Donor of the collection had no information as to the copyright status. The numbers found in the "Original Archive #" field of the USHMM Foxpro database are the original German newsreel numbers and production dates, as found in Bucher, Peter. "Wochenschauen und Dokumentarfilme 1895-1950 im Bundesarchiv-Filmarchiv" Koblenz: Bundesarchiv, 1984.
Biography / History:
2003.458 George R. Wheeler obtained this collection of wartime films from his late wife's first husband, Mr. Givens, who received the films from an acquaintance and watchmaker, Mr. Greenberg. Greenberg smuggled them out of Germany in the late 1930s or early 1940s. Mr. Wheeler, himself a member of the 94th Engineers Regiment during World War II, donated the 16mm films to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in October 2003.
George R. Wheeler, DW 578/41/1941
16mm pos composite
16mm; DigiBeta; Betacam SP; VHS
01:00:39 - 01:08:09
US Holocaust Memorial Museum, gift of George R. Wheeler