Children who had hidden as non-Jews during the Holocaust formed the initial Jewish community of Indersdorf, a displaced children's home in the Bayern town of Kloster Indersdorf. Located in a twelfth-century monastery and former girls' boarding school, Indersdorf functioned as an international youth shelter until the UNRRA designated the camp as a Jewish children's center in August 1946. Situated between Dachau and Augsburg, Indersdorf was part of the Munich district of the U.S. zone of occupation. The residents of the camp published a newspaper entitled Uj Elet and many of them collaborated to form Kibbutz Dror, a Zionist youth village and commune. Kloster Indersdorf closed on June 30, 1949. During the time that it was open, it was home to over 300 young Jewish DPs.