The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum lends collection objects as a means of encouraging and developing a greater understanding and appreciation for the Holocaust and Holocaust-related artifacts. Outgoing loans may be made to other museums and institutions engaged in nonprofit, educational, and scholarly pursuits. Loan applications must be made at least nine months in advance of the loan start date.
Loan applications are reviewed on a monthly basis by the Outgoing Loans Committee (members include curatorial, registration, and conservation staff members) and will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- The proposed use of the borrowed material
- The timing of the request for the loan
- The value and/or the importance of the object
- The overall condition of the object
- The security, environmental, and facility characteristics and capabilities of the borrowing institution
- The nature and purpose of the borrowing organization and the proposed project
- The current exhibition schedule of the Museum
All expenses associated with the outgoing loan must be borne by the borrowing institution, including mount making, packing, shipping, couriers, and insurance.
Borrowers are required to complete the online outgoing loan application. Incomplete applications will be returned with a request for additional information. The application should include the following information:
- Name, address, and telephone number of borrowing institution and contact name
- Synopsis of exhibition
- Loan period, including time for exhibit preparation and loan return
- Completed American Association of Museums Facilities Report, or comparable facilities report, for borrowing institution
- A list of additional venues, if applicable; facility reports for each additional venue are required
- Plan of gallery where the loan will be displayed and a description of exhibit cases and gallery lighting
Photography for print and electronic media is permitted only for catalog, educational, archival, and publicity purposes related to the purposes of the loan. No photography or reproduction is permitted by the general public.
The Museum will make every effort to assist borrowers in meeting the loan requirements. However, not all loans may be approved. For additional information or to request an outgoing loan application, please contact the Museum’s loan coordinator.
All supplemental application material not included in the online application must be e-mailed, faxed, or mailed to: