It takes many people to accomplish the Museum’s mission, including our devoted volunteers, who provide visitor services, help conduct programs and tours, and work behind the scenes. The Museum also relies on contributors to the World Memory Project, who can work from anywhere with an Internet connection.
The Museum accepts volunteers without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, or disability. You must be at least 16 years old by the start of your service and should possess the following qualities:
- Compassion to deal with difficult subject matter and those who are affected by it
- Open-mindedness and patience to work with a diverse public and staff
- Integrity to represent the Museum and oneself with the highest standards
- Dedication to the Museum’s mission and to the values of the Volunteer Program
- Reliability to consistently keep one’s volunteer commitment to the Museum
Visitor Services Volunteer Representatives serve as ambassadors to the public, greeting visitors and orienting them to the Museum, distributing daily passes, and assisting with crowd control. They must:
- Work one four-hour shift (morning or afternoon) every week or one six-hour shift every other weekend for a minimum of three months.
- Successfully complete a basic orientation and on-the-job training. Training is provided on a rolling basis. Specialized areas require additional training.
- Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Retail experience and customer service and foreign language skills are helpful.
Education and Tour Guide Volunteers help Museum staff conduct public presentations and tours for visitors, school groups, and law enforcement professionals. They must:
- Work at least one half-day (four hours) per week.
- Successfully complete a training program.
- Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Experience in teaching or museum education, public service, and/or retail is helpful.
Behind-the-Scenes Volunteers work throughout the Museum as well as off-site. Tasks include research, translation, transcription, providing customer service, and ensuring safety in Museum exhibitions. Volunteers must:
- Work at least 12 hours per month. The schedule is generally flexible but may include weekly or biweekly shifts.
- Possess various skills are needed depending on the position. These may include foreign language(s), clerical, computer, research, and writing abilities.
Please complete the online application form.
If you have any questions, e-mail or call 202.479.9737.