List of children at Children's Home Wesembeck-Ophem [sic], 200 Choe de Malines / submitted by the World Jewish Congress, 1835 Broadway, (ID: 31011)
Authorship or Source:
World Jewish Congress Collection.
Title or Main Description:
List of children at Children's Home Wesembeck-Ophem [sic], 200 Choe de Malines / submitted by the World Jewish Congress, 1835 Broadway, New York 23, N.Y.
- 1 leaf : cols.
- Number of Names or Other Entries-- 40 Names
Type of Work:
Alternate or Series Title:
- List of Children at Children's Home -Wesembeck-Ophem, 200 Chee de Malines, 40n.
- Alphabetical list of children at children's home Wesembeck-Ophem, 200 Choe de Malines- mixed nationalities.
Museum or Other Institution Holdings:
- World Jewish Congress Collection (USHMM Archives RG-67.035)
- See: Reel 1, D49/4
- A PDF-format scanned image of this document is available at: S:\DATA\ITS\ITSResearch\WorldJewishCongress\D494i.pdf
The approximately 700 name lists that comprise this microfilm collection of World Jewish Congress records held by the American Jewish Archives in Cincinnatti, Ohio (Website: http://www.americanjewisharchives.org) were identified by former Director of the Registry of Holocaust Survivors, Ms. Sarah Ogilvie. The microfilm was purchased by the Registry of Holocaust Survivors from the American Jewish Archives, and then transferred to the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum Archives Collections in 1997.
- Holocaust survivors --Belgium --Wezembeek-Oppem --Registers.
- Jewish children in the Holocaust --Belgium --Wezembeek-Oppem --Registers.
- Orphans --Belgium --Wezembeek-Oppem --Registers.
- Orphanages --Belgium --Wezembeek-Oppem --Registers.
- World War, 1939-1945 --Jews --Rescue --Belgium --Wezembeek-Oppem --Registers.
- Association des Juifs en Belgique.
- Wezembeek-Oppem (Belgium) --Registers.
- [Additional Geographic Keywords: Brabant, Brussels, Wesembeck-Ophem]
Alphabetical name register of Jewish children in the Children's Home at Wezembeek-Oppem [note proper spelling], on the eastern outskirts of Brussels, run by the Association of Jews in Belgium (AJB). Entries include name, date of birth, place of birth, nationality, fates or locations of father and mother. This particular orphanage at Wezembeek was for Jewish children who had been orphaned because their parents had been deported to the death camps. From August 1944, the AJB decided to revolt and hid the children until the end of the Nazi occupation. When the school was again taken over by the Germans during the Battle of the Bulge, the children hid in the basement of the orphanage until the U.S. Army liberated them.
Language and Other Notes:
- "Mixed Nationalities"--Handwritten notation at head of leaf, upper left.
- "D49/4i"--Handwritten notation at head of leaf, upper left.
- "#963-12/19/1945-150-CF:lld, LIST 8160"--At foot of leaf.
- Formerly cataloged under the cataloger-assigned title: Alphabetical list of children at children's home Wesembeck-Ophem, 200 Choe de Malines- mixed nationalities.
Location of Electronic or Internet File:
Resource Center Cataloging Notes:
Former Q&A Name Lists Database File Number-- AC0210