Mariendorf

One of the few DP camps in Berlin, Mariendorf was part of the American zone in the Berlin district. The urban camp maintained a number of schools, including an elementary school with 400 students, a yeshiva (religious academy) with 20 students, and a kindergarten with 110 children in late 1947. A mikve (Jewish ritual bath) and a kosher kitchen capable of serving 900 people also were created in the camp. The Jewish population of the camp averaged 3,250 individuals from its opening in July 1946, until its residents were transferred to Duppel Center DP camp in early 1948.