A DP camp in American-occupied Berlin, Duppel Center was the largest Jewish DP camp in the Berlin district. The camp was established in wooden huts and barracks that in September 1946 sheltered 5,130 Jewish DPs. Duppel Center published the Unzer Lebn (Our Life) newspaper and kept a theater group called "Baderech." The camp also had a synagogue and an educational system. DPs at Duppel formed a sports club and benefited from employment opportunities in the neighboring urban area. Unfortunately, as a result of the Berlin Blockade in July 1948, the refugees of Duppel Center had to be abruptly evacuated from the region. An American airlift carried the refugees toward western Germany, the camp was closed, and the Duppel DPs were mainly transferred to Frankfurt.