Home to an exceptionally active DP community, Deggendorf was a mid-sized DP camp in the Bamberg district of the American-occupied zone. The camp housed approximately 2,000 Jewish DPs. Deggendorf's newspapers, the Deggendorf Center Review and Cum Ojfboj (the Yiddish weekly paper of the Zionist Achida Organization whose chief editor, Menachem Sztajer, was previously editor of Bamidbar in Foehrenwald) were supplemented by the camp's sizable library of 1,700 volumes. Deggendorf also organized a theater group, a synagogue, a mikve (Jewish ritual bath), and a kosher kitchen. The camp administration even issued its own paper currency, "Deggendorf Dollars," that was supported by a bank in Munich. The money bore the stamp, "Jewish Committee-D.P. Camp 7 Deggendorf." ORT operated a vocational training school in Deggendorf that offered a variety of occupations. The Jewish community in Deggendorf reached 1,965 on October 18, 1948, with much of the camp's population comprised of former inmates from Theresienstadt concentration camp. Deggendorf DP camp closed on June 15, 1949.