Beit Lohamei Haghettaot, courtesy of USHMM Photo Archives (Photo #24114)
Abba Kovner sits among the ruins of the former headquarters of the Fareynegte Partizaner Organizatsye (United Partisan Organization; FPO) in Vilna following the liberation. Kovner, along with several other people, played a central role in the formation of the FPO in January 1942.
After the war, Kovner became active in the Zionist movement and emigrated to Palestine. Following Israel’s War of Independence, he devoted his time to writing and was awarded the Israel Prize in Literature in 1970.