Jewish children making boxes in the Glubokoye ghetto.
Karl Katz (Photo #08059)
The ghetto in Glubokoye was established in November 1941. In addition to the local community, Jews from the surrounding towns of Szarkowszczyzna, Postawy and Plissa were moved into the ghetto, swelling its population to 6,000. The ghetto population was divided between those deemed fit for labor and those who were not. The forced laborers were put to work in numerous ghetto workshops doing carpentry, tanning leather, washing and ironing laundry, painting signs, working with metal, and manufacturing such things as hats, clothes, shoes, shoe polish, boxes, and cooking oil. Twenty-five hundred of those Jews considered unfit for work were killed in the nearby Borek Forest on June 19, 1942. Ultimately, the entire ghetto was liquidated in August 1943. About sixty Jews from Glubokoye survived the Holocaust.