Steven Spielberg Film and Video Archive
In order for us to proceed with your request, submit the following information to Archive staff at 202.488.6104 or email@example.com:
- Contact Information (name, affiliation, address, phone, fax, email)
- Project Name and Description
- Footage Research Topics (as detailed as possible)
Print the Archive’s procedures for research and duplication.
Procedures for copying footage
The Steven Spielberg Film and Video Archive (SSFVA) does not supply copies of archival materials directly to users. Instead, we facilitate duplication requests via several outside video studios, at the researcher's expense. Duplication and shipping fees are paid directly to the lab. Master tapes are shipped from our offsite storage facility to the lab of your choice. Requests must be submitted by 2 PM. Please plan accordingly when placing orders.
We can email a limited number of low resolution digital video files (streaming quality) to survivors, students, educators, individuals performing family research, liberators, and donors. Written permission must be secured in advance for films that are copyright restricted.
If you want a Hi-Definition (HD) transfer and the existing USHMM format is a videotape source (a Digital Betacam or other analog master), your HD copy can be made from the existing video by the "upconvert" method or from a new film intermediate. If you choose the latter, you will pay a vendor to produce a new film copy that will become the sole property of USHMM. It is from this new film intermediate that your HD copy will be made.
In order to obtain copies, follow these six steps:
- Contact the SSFVA with a list of the film segments you want to copy. Provide the following details:
- USHMM story number (RG-60.xxxx)
- USHMM Film ID (tape number)
- Federal Express account number for shipment, or the lab will use theirs and bill you
- Contact one of the labs below to obtain an estimate for duplication. Labs require the following information:
- Beginning and ending time codes for each segment or story you want dubbed
- USHMM Film ID and format
- Your desired format
- For COPYRIGHTED footage: Secure written permission from the rights holder that allows duplication in your desired format (including time-coded screeners). Forward this permission to Archive staff. Rights holder contact information is provided upon request.
- Notify us which lab you will use. We will release the master tapes for duplication. Master tapes are shipped from our offsite storage facility via Federal Express. Requests must be submitted by 2 PM. Due to FedEx restrictions, we must use the lab’s FedEx account for any requests from outside the United States.
- Any footage obtained from the SSFVA must be credited in the following manner: Steven Spielberg Film and Video Archive, United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.
- Send the SSFVA a copy of your completed project or film incorporating the footage from our collection.
Washington, DC area labs
Henninger Media Services
2601-A Wilson Boulevard
Arlington, VA 22201
Contact: Suzonna Sullivan
Bono Film / Bonolabs
9215 51st Avenue, Suite 11
College Park, MD 20740
Contact: Tim Bono or Bonnie Willette
5708 Arundel Avenue
Rockville, MD 20852
Contacts: Rebecca Reynolds