Steven Spielberg Film and Video Archive
In order for us to proceed with your request, submit the following information to Archive staff at 202.488.6104 or email@example.com:
- Contact Information (name, affiliation, address, phone, fax, email)
- Project Name and Description
- Footage Research Topics (as detailed as possible)
- List of Film Segments by Story Number (RG-60.xxxx) and USHMM Film ID
Print the Archive’s procedures for research and duplication.
Procedures for copying footage
Archive staff can supply digital video files of archival materials directly to users by a share file service. Many files are in the DV50 or ProRes 422 digital video format. Staff will upload files and share a link with the client for downloading. This shared link will be accessible for only 14 days. If you do not download files within that period, there will be a delay as we will have to upload the files again. Written permission must be secured in advance for films that are copyright restricted.
In order to obtain copies, follow these four steps:
- Provide a full list of film segments you want by Story Number (RG-60.xxxx) and USHMM Film ID.
- For COPYRIGHT RESTRICTED footage: Secure written permission from the rights holder that allows for duplication in your desired format (including time-coded screeners). Forward this permission to the Archive. Rights holder contact information is provided upon request.
- Footage obtained from the Archive must be credited in the following manner: Steven Spielberg Film and Video Archive, United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.
- Send the Archive a copy of your completed project or film incorporating footage from our collection.
If you want a Hi-Definition (HD) transfer and the USHMM format is a videotape source (a Digital Betacam or other analog master), your HD copy can be made from the existing video by the "upconvert" method. If you want a HD transfer from a USHMM film source and there is no film intermediate available, you can pay a vendor to produce a new film copy that will become the sole property of USHMM. It is from this new film intermediate that your HD copy will be made.
Washington, DC area labs
Henninger Media Services
1320 North Courthouse Road, Suite 130
Arlington, VA 22201
Contact: Suzonna Sullivan
Bono Film / Bonolabs
9215 51st Avenue, Suite 11
College Park, MD 20740
Contact: Tim Bono or Bonnie Willette
5708 Arundel Avenue
Rockville, MD 20852
Contacts: Rebecca Reynolds