Tricase, a mid-sized DP camp at the southern tip of Italy, was founded in 1944 by the Allied Commission. This small camp quickly outgrew its quarters in requisitioned holiday villas. "During the most recent visit made in January 1946 it was definitely established that Tricase could not accommodate more than 800 persons during the winter season since the unused villas were considered uninhabitable," stated the UNRRA, which assumed management of the camp in late 1945. Tricase housed many members of the Betar kibbutz and the camp's Zionist orientation was evident in the many lectures and activities conducted by Israeli envoys. Like other southern Italian DP centers, Tricase also served as a staging ground for "illegal" immigration to Palestine. Two of the camp's kibbutzim bought radios that aided communication with Palestine and clandestine charter ships. Cultural life in the kibbutz focused on sports, including organized table tennis and boxing tournaments, and a three-week-long chess competition in the summer of 1946.