Eschwege, a former German air force base in the Frankfurt district of the American-occupied zone, became a DP camp in January 1946. Eschwege Airbase housed approximately 1,770 Jews at the time of its opening and its young population quickly developed a revitalized community, evidenced by the opening of a kindergarten with fifty children by April 1947. In contrast, the elementary school had only thirty students at that time. Eschwege also had a Talmud Torah (religious elementary school), a cheder (traditional religious school for young children), and a yeshiva (religious academy), as well as a "Bet Ya'akov" religious high school for girls. Religious life was also celebrated in the camp's several synagogues and mikve (Jewish ritual bath). Eschwege had a sports club with 100 players, a movie theater, and a 500-seat auditorium with a theater group. The camp published the newspaper Undzer Hofenung (Our Hope). By October 19, 1946, Eschwege housed roughly 3,355 Jews. The camp closed on April 26, 1949.