A DP area in the district of Salzburg, located in the American occupied zone. In December 1946, roughly 13,200 Jews were dispersed between Salzburg’s three permanent, and five transient camps. For a time, 2,000 persons entered the DP area daily. UNRRA administered the permanent camps: Bad Gastein, New Palestine, and Braunau. The transient camps were administered by UNRRA and partially by the AJDC: Frenz Josef, Beth Bialik, Puch, Riedenburg, and Saalfelden. Salzburg’s transient camps commonly sheltered larger groups of DPs. Most of the camp’s Jews came from Hungary and Poland; others came from Rumania and Czechoslovakia.
Under the supervision of the AJDC, six bakeries were opened in the Salzburg area especially for making special foods for Jewish religious observances. Two children’s homes were opened on Lake St. Wolfgang in Salzburg, where children could enjoy the garden grounds, the play equipment, and the swimming facilities. The camps devised cultural, educational, and vocational programs to assist the DPs in their return to life.
Movements for emigration became a major component of Salzburg camp life (especially within the transient camps). Polls revealed that about 80% of the Jewish population of Salzburg saw Palestine as their ultimate transfer point.