Poking (Pine City, aka Waldstadt)
Located in the Bamberg district, Poking Pine City was the second largest DP camp in Germany after Belsen. Opened in January 1946, the camp reached its maximum of 7,645 Jewish inhabitants on October 19, 1946. It had several Talmud Torahs with more than 200 pupils, as well as a Lubavitcher and a Klausenburger Yeshiva with a combined 500 pupils. Poking Pine City’s cultural department featured theaters and sports clubs. The camp closed on February 16, 1949.