Wetzlar was a DP camp in the Frankfurt district of the American-occupied zone. The camp opened in September 1946 in a former military camp. The first DPs to inhabit the camp were from Cham and Berlin. Wetzlar had a large elementary school of 450 students in April 1946, two Talmud Torahs (religious elementary school), two yeshivot (religious academies), and a kindergarten with 95 children in April 1947. The Jewish population of the camp decreased from 4,200 in October 1946, to 3,700 two years later. Wetzlar closed on March 3, 1949.