München Neu Freimann
Neu Freimann was a DP camp in the Munich district and was part of the American-occupied zone. The camp opened in July 1946, and the residents were housed in confiscated workers' housing. Neu Freimann had a Talmud Torah (religious elementary school), a dentist, and a mixed population of Jewish and non-Jewish Polish DPs. The camp, like others in the American zone, gradually became a predominantly Jewish DP camp.
It was in Munich, the capital of Jewish Germany, that 200 tons of wheat were turned into Matzahs that were distributed to all Bavarian Jewish DPs under UNRRA guidance.
The Jewish population in Neu Freimann averaged 2,570 individuals per year. On June 15, 1949, the camp closed.