Aretha, David, ed. Holocaust Chronicle. Lincolnwood, Ill.: Publications International, 2000. Contains an enormous amount of information about resistance movements and individuals, along with many pictures and timelines.
Bauer, Yehuda. A History of the Holocaust. Danbury, Conn.: Franklin Watts, 1982. Includes a chapter on resistance covering armed resistance, resistance in the ghettos, resistance in the camps, resistance in western Europe, and partisans. Also includes a map of Jewish revolts from 1942–1945.
Berenbaum, Michael. The World Must Know: The History of the Holocaust as Told in the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. Boston: Little, Brown, and Co., 1993. Provides information on resistance in general as well as about the Warsaw ghetto uprising, the uprisings in Sobibór and Auschwitz, the White Rose movement, Mordecai Anielewicz, Janusz Korczak, Abba Kovner, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Emanuel Ringelblum, and Hannah Szenes.
Brown, Jean E., Elaine C. Stephens, and Janet E. Rubin. Images of the Holocaust. Lincolnwood, Ill.: NCT Publishing Group, 1997. Includes excerpts of Vladka Meed’s autobiography (On Both Sides of the Wall), which tells of her experiences in the Warsaw ghetto and her involvement in the resistance, diary entries and poem of Jewish parachutist Hannah Szenes, and a poem by Hirsh Glik of the Vilna partisans, among other works.
Eliach, Yaffa, ed. We Were Children Just Like You. New York: Center for Holocaust Studies, 1990. Includes photographs and brief stories of children and young adults who were partisans (including Hannah Szenes and Stanislaw Szmajzner, one of the organizers and leaders of the revolt at Sobibór).
Facing History and Ourselves: Holocaust and Human Behavior. Brookline, Mass.: 1994. Provides information on the Warsaw ghetto uprising, resistance in the camps, and bystanders and resisters.
Gilbert, Martin. Never Again: A History of the Holocaust. New York: Universe, 2000. Includes chapters on resistance and uprisings.
Rise Up and Fight! Songs of Jewish Partisans. CD. United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. Washington, D.C., 1996. This CD has 18 songs. The booklet has some background information on Jewish partisans, background information for each song, the lyrics of the songs in the original language and in English, and some photographs.
Rozett, Robert. Encyclopedia of the Holocaust. Jerusalem: Yad Vashem, 2000. Includes both essays and encyclopedia entries, and information on partisans and Jewish resistance.
United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. Historical Atlas of the Holocaust, New York.: Macmillan Publishing, 1996. Includes information on Jewish resistance.
United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. Resistance in the Holocaust. Provides useful information on obstacles to resistance, resistance in ghettos and Nazi camps, selected partisan groups, and resistance in Nazi Germany. Photographs, maps, and primary source documents (the Vilna Partisan Manifesto and Mordecai Anielewicz’s last letter) are also included. It has a timeline and an annotated bibliography of other useful sources. The publication is available in print and on the Museum’s Web site, from which it can be downloaded.
- Vladka Meed's memoir On Both Sides of the Wall, excerpt "The Warsaw Ghetto Uprising" in images from the Holocaust; a personal history and video
- Hirsh Glik's Song of the Partisans and his poem "Silence, and a Starry Night" in Images from the Holocaust
- Vilna Partisan Manifesto in the Museum publication Resistance during the Holocaust (PDF)
- Abba Kovner: a quotation
- Sobibór: photograph of survivors
- The story of the White Rose and their leaflets and court testimony: Memories of the White Rose (external link) and Protest of Youth (external link)
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer: special focus and additional information (external link)
- Spiritual resistance in ghettos
- Document on life in the Warsaw ghetto (external link)
- Information on Emanuel Ringelblum (external link) (scroll down to find two articles)
- Information on Janusz Korczak (external link)
- Information on Hannah Szenes (Senesh) and Szenes’s I Gambled on What Mattered Most in Images from the Holocaust; a quotation
- Brief profile and photograph of Ella Gartner
- Animated map about resistance
Materials for Students
The following books are also useful for students (See Background Materials for full citations):
- Resistance in the Holocaust
- Images of the Holocaust
- We Were Children Just Like You
- The World Must Know: The History of the Holocaust as Told in the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
- Holocaust Chronicle
- Never Again: A History of the Holocaust
Additional online resources:
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum: Personal Histories, Center for Advanced Holocaust Studies, The Miles Lerman Center for the Study of Jewish Resistance, Holocaust Encyclopedia
- Museum of Tolerance Online Multimedia Learning Center (external link)
- A Teacher's Guide to the Holocaust (external link): Information for teachers and students with a special section on resistance.